The 177th meeting of ESI Corporation held on 19/02/2019 under the Chairmanship of Shri. Santosh Gangwarji, Hon'ble Union Minister of Labour and Employment and in the presence of Union Labour Secretary Shri Heeralal Samariya IAS, Director General, ESIC Shri Raj Kumar IAS and Employee and Employer Representatives has taken some landmark decisions for the overall improvement of the ESI Scheme and for the benefit of the Insured Persons and worker population of our country. The decisions were taken based on the strong demands and proposals made by myself and other Representatives of the Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh. Some of the major decisions taken are:
1) Increased the monthly income ceiling limit for dependent parents to avail benefits under the ESI Scheme raised from Rs.5000/- to Rs.9000/- ( almost doubled the limit).
2) Rationalized ESI Contribution Rates from 6.5% to 5%. Now the Employee share of contribution is reduced to 1% and Employer Share to 4% ( Total 5% of monthly Wages) This shall improve the compliance and reduce the burden of ESI Contribution payment. The reduction of Contribution Rates shall be reviewed after two years.
3) A major decision was taken for removing the ESI expense ceiling on IPs to State Government. Now only Rs.3000/- per IP was provided by ESI Corporation to State Governments for running the medical Scheme. It has now been decided to reimburse the State Governments the full expenses required for running the medical Scheme, without any ceiling. This shall bring huge increase the spending on the ESI Scheme by the state government and corresponding improvement in medical facilities.
4) Four New ESI Dispensaries has been sanctioned for Kerala at 1) Maanamthavady 2) Sulthanbathery 3) Kannan Devan Hills and 4) Mannamkandam (Idukki)
5) Level 1 ICU shall be set up at all ESI Hospitals.
6) Decision was also taken to improve the Super Speciality Treatment and specialized medical services provided through the ESI Scheme.
Besides several other important decisions were taken for improving the benefits and services provided to IPs under the ESI Scheme.
The entire contents of this article are solely for information purpose and have been prepared on the basis of relevant provisions and as per the information existing at the time of the preparation by the Author. Compliance Calendar LLP and the Author of this Article do not constitute any sort of professional advice or a formal recommendation. The author has undertaken utmost care to disseminate the true and correct view and doesn’t accept liability for any errors or omissions. You are kindly requested to verify and confirm the updates from the genuine sources before acting on any of the information’s provided hereinabove. Compliance Calendar LLP shall not be responsible for any loss or damage in any circumstances whatsoever.