Friends, the above verse from Shrimad Bhagwat Gita motivates all of us to stay at path of Karma (duty/actions) without being attached with the fruits of action. Fruits of action are the natural result of the Karma (duty/actions) in the due course.
At the NIRC, the last one month has been full of various activities for the Members/Students and we are trying to live up to the expectations of our members, students and other stakeholders. With the plethora of opportunities being opened up under various legislations like GST/IBC with the equal number of challenges, we need to strengthen our abilities by upgrading our skills to tap the opportunities lying ahead and also to mitigate the challenges by staying on rightful path of karma (duty/actions).
NIRC-ICSI organised a Full day seminar on GST on 29th April 2017 at New Delhi followed by Five Days Master classes on GST in the Month of June at NIRC which was attended by large number of stakeholders. One workshop is also being organised on 24th June 2017 at NIRC to deliberate upon Opportunities for PCS under the GST.
As you may kindly be aware that the ICSI Insolvency ProfessionalsAgency (ICSI-IPA)is registered as a Section 8 Company and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of ICSI. It has opened up a sea of opportunities and a holistic way of showcasing our expertise. I appeal to all the eligible professionals, who have yet not been registered, to register themselves as Insolvency Professionals with ICSI-Insolvency Professionals Agency. NIRC in its endeavour to constantly upgrade skills of its members is coming out with 5 days Capsule Course on Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code (IBC)from 3rd July, 2017 to 7th July, 2017 at NIRC Auditorium. The registration for the Capsule Course has already been started and the details of the program are available on the NIRO portal and also published elsewhere in this newsletter.
NIRC will also be organizing series of programs for capacity building and skill development of Company Secretaries across entire Northern Region particularly on GST/IBC/NCLT in time to come.
Friends, for being successful in life, we need to put in lot of efforts. Today’s corporate world is full of challenges for the professionals particularly the Company Secretaries. The role of Company Secretaries is not confined to mere compliance work as with the advent of the Information Technology, the compliance related work is the only sub function of the Company Secretaries. They have to play the role of the Corporate Advisors/Strategists to support the business process. For acting as Corporate Advisors/Strategists there is a need to realize the importance of continuous learning and to make continuous efforts for updating the knowledge base otherwise it will be too late and there is always the risk of becoming obsolete which any professional cannot afford to be so. Various fields are opening for Company Secretaries in practice as well as in service. It has become mandatory for us to acquaint ourselves with the challenges put to our profession as a result of globalization of corporate activities, advancement of Information Technology & Corporate Governance.
Keeping this in mind, NIRC-ICSI is regularly organizing various professional development programs for the members & the students. A brief summary of the programs as organized by NIRC for members & students during the month of May-June is produced here under:
· On 13th May, 2017 one day workshop was conducted on Board Report & CSR. CS Rupanjana De, Proprietor, Rupanjana De & Co, Kolkata and CS Sunil Grover were the guest speakers on the occasion.
· On 13rd & 14th May, 2017, PCS Orientation Program which was hosted by Jaipur Chapter of NIRC of ICSI. CS Deepak Arora, Regional Council Member and Chairman-PCS Committee , NIRC; Mr. Anurag Kalavatiya, Advocate; CS Sandeep Taneja; CA Rahul Lakhwani; CS Nesar Ahmad, Past President-ICSI and CS Manish Gupta, Immediate Past Chairman-NIRC were the guest speakers on the occasion. I extend my sincere thanks to CS Deepak Arora, Chairman, PCS Committee-NIRC and Chairman & Managing Committee of Jaipur Chapter for successfully organising PCS Orientation Program at Jaipur.
· On 18th May, 2017, 15 days Crash Course exclusively for Female Members was concluded. It was a great experience for the female members.
· On 20th May, 2017 one day Seminar was organised on Opportunities and Prospects for CS under IBC. Hon'ble Justice Shri S J Mukhopadhaya, Chairperson, National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) was the chief guest of the Seminar and Ms. Suman Saxena, Whole Time Member-Research and Regulation Wing, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India was the Guest of Honour in the Inaugural Session. CS Nesar Ahmad, Past President-ICSI; CS Satwinder Singh, Council Member-ICSI and CS Rajeev Goel, Advocate were the guest speakers for the program. The chief guest, Guest of Honour and guest speakers interacted with the members and shared their view which was appreciated by one and all. Many practical queries were resolved by the speakers of the seminar.
· On 29th May, 2017 & 12th June, 2017 PCS Helpline on Striking off Companies andConversion of Companies into LLP wherein CS Manish Gupta, Immediate Past Chairman-NIRC and CS Kiran Sharma, Company Secretary in Practice respectively were the expert for the program. A large number of queries were attended and resolved in the PCS Helpline.
· 5 days Master Classes were organised on "GST" from 12th June, 2017 to 16th June, 2017, which was attended by good number of participants.
· On 15th June, 2017, PCS Day was celebrated in which CS Vineet K Chaudhary, Council Member-ICSI and CS Sunil Grover were the guest speakers.
· On 26th May, 2017 Valedictory Function of 264th MSOP. Shri Rakesh Kumar Tiwari, Registrar of Companies, Delhi and Haryana, was the Chief Guest for the function. The Chief Guest shared his experience with MSOP Participants. He motivated and guided the participants.
· On 29th May, 2017 Inauguration of 265th MSOP. CS Lalit Jain, Company Secretary in Practice & Former Member of Secretarial Standard Board (SSB) was the chief guest of the program. The chief guest shared his views and motivated the participants.
On 5th June, 2017, NIRC celebrated World Environment Day at ICSI-NIRC Building, New Delhi. CS Ilam Kamboj and office bearers of NIRC planted a sapling and addressed/sensitised the participants about the environment protection and Mother Earth.
· On 12th June, 2017 Inauguration of 266th MSOP. CS P Baranwal, Company Secretary and Head-Legal of Krishna Maruti Ltd., Gurgaon, was the chief guest of the program. The chief guest shared his views and motivated the participants.
· On 15th June, 2017 Valedictory Function of 265th MSOP. Dr. Sanjeev Gemawat, Executive Director (Legal), Dalmia Group was the Chief Guest for the function. He shared his experience and journey as CS and motivated and guided the participants.
During the month, NIRC-ICSI also organized various training programs for the students.
I take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks and gratitude to all guests, faculties, speakers and invitees for sparing their valuable time and sharing their words of wisdom, expertise and practical experience with the participants of the above mentioned programs.
Friends, On June 30 & July 1, 2017, NIRC-ICSI is oraganising Two days Regional Residential Conference. The theme of Conference is “CS – A Navigator towards Corporate Growth” to be hosted by Dehradun Chapter. Details of the same has been published elsewhere in the Newsletter. The program will be addressed by galaxy of experts. I request you to join in said Regional Residential Conference at Mussoorie in large numbers.
I am pleased to inform that ICSI-NIRC conducted a Mega Placement Drive -2017 on 26th & 27th May, 2017 at ICSI-NIRC Building. The young members were benefited by facing the real life interview. Good numbers of companies, PCS firms, Law firms, PSUs and other recruiters participated in the same. It is heartening to mention here that Mega placement Drive turned out to be a fruitful endeavor and was very well appreciated. CS Rajiv Bajaj, Chairman, Placement Committee-ICSI, Regional Council Members-NIRC and other professional colleagues contributed to this activity to the best of their abilities. I am grateful to Dr. Shyam Agarwal, President, ICSI for organising the Mega campus placement drive in all four Regions of the Institute.
NIRC will continue to focus on providing placements to our members and we are in process of organising further placement camps for the members of the Institute in the month of July. I take this opportunity to request all members to join hands with NIRC and instead of approaching any placement consultant, approach your NIRC for recruitment of our young members. If we all work together to tackle the issue, then only the Placement can be strengthened.
The Convocation of Northern Region is going to be held on 24th July, 2017?at Siri Fort Auditorium, New Delhi to award the certificate of Membership of the Institute to newly qualified members. The Separate communication in this regard will be sent by the Institute in due course to all eligible new members. I am sure that the convocation would enable the newly qualified members to have more belongingness with the fellow young members and with the Institute.
On the occasion of International Women Day, the Council of the Institute, to honor its Female Professional Colleagues, decided to grant exemption in attending compulsory attendance for obtaining mandatory Programme Credit Hours (PCH) for a period of one year to all those female members who are on family way. However, these female members have an option to attend the Professional Development Programmes, if they desire to do so.
The Council of Institute has approved the Guidelines for Professional Dress Code for Company Secretaries to appear before judicial / quasi-judicial bodies and tribunals like NCLT- NCLAT, SAT, etc. A copy of the Guidelines is available on the ICSI website.
The Institute has announced a Fee Waiver Scheme for all eligible Students belonging to the State of Jammu & Kashmir and North Eastern States (Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura) to register for Foundation or Executive Programme Stages. Students are not required to remit any fee for registration. The Institute is aligning the Fee Waiver Scheme with the policy of Government of India for inclusive growth of all parts of the country. It is a rare opportunity for the students of the aforesaid States and the fee waiver shall be applicable for a limited period only. For details visit on this link:
COMPANY SECRETARY BENEVOLENT FUND (CSBF)
Friends, Membership of Company Secretaries Benevolent Fund is a noble cause. It is a corpus from which Institute provides immediate financial assistance to those who are in dire need of the same. The bigger the corpus, bigger will be amount of financial assistance provided by the Institute. I humbly request to those members who have not yet taken the membership of Company Secretaries Benevolent Fund, to kindly pay a sum of Rs. 10,000/- only as life membership fee and become the proud member of Company Secretaries Benevolent Fund.
Friends, our members and the students are the backbone of the profession. Their support, involvement and feedback is prerequisite for the successful implementation of any of the professional or academic activity of NIRC. I earnestly solicit suggestions from all of you for further betterment of the activities of NIRC and up gradation of the profession. You can reach me any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NIRC-ICSI Newsletter for the month of June, 2017 issue is now available at the NIRO portal, pleaseClick Hereto view and downloadthe same.
The entire contents of this article are solely for information purpose and have been prepared on the basis of relevant provisions and as per the information existing at the time of the preparation by the Author. Compliance Calendar LLP and the Author of this Article do not constitute any sort of professional advice or a formal recommendation. The author has undertaken utmost care to disseminate the true and correct view and doesn’t accept liability for any errors or omissions. You are kindly requested to verify and confirm the updates from the genuine sources before acting on any of the information’s provided hereinabove. Compliance Calendar LLP shall not be responsible for any loss or damage in any circumstances whatsoever.