Corporate Identification Number is a unique 21 digit number granted by RoC at the time of incorporation of a company. This number is allotted to each and every company irrespective of whether it is Private, Public or One Person Company.
CIN is a unique identification code given to each company and it shows the identity of the Company. A company is known by its CIN number. CIN number covers a lot of information about the company. One can easily locate a company through its CIN. It is mandatory to use CIN on documents of the company like MOA, AOA, Letter Head, etc.
CHANGE OF CIN NUMBER:
Once CIN is granted, a company needs to keep it for its entire life. But in certain circumstances, even CIN can get changed. Let us see below those circumstances:
When there is a change in the location or state of the registered office of the country;
When there is a change in the listing status of the company;
When the industry in which the company works get changed; and
When there is a change in the sector of the company.
Let us break the Corporate Identification Number and see the vital information it has stored:
1. The first digit of CIN describes the listing status of the company. CIN will get start by L if the company is listed and U if it is an unlisted company.
2. Next five digit of CIN signifies the industry code.
3. The next two digits are the State Code. Through it, one can check the concerned RoC of the Company.
4. Next four digits display the year in which the company was incorporated.
5. From the next three digits, one can identify which type of company it is.
For Public Limited Company, it will be PLC
For Private Limited Company, it will be PTC
6. Last six digits are the special RoC code of the company.
Basically, CIN is a combination of alphanumeric code carrying on important information about the company.
The entire contents of this article are solely for information purpose and have been prepared on the basis of relevant provisions and as per the information existing at the time of the preparation by the Author. Compliance Calendar LLP and the Author of this Article do not constitute any sort of professional advice or a formal recommendation. The author has undertaken utmost care to disseminate the true and correct view and doesn’t accept liability for any errors or omissions. You are kindly requested to verify and confirm the updates from the genuine sources before acting on any of the information’s provided hereinabove. Compliance Calendar LLP shall not be responsible for any loss or damage in any circumstances whatsoever.