The 177th meeting of ESI Corporation held on 19/02/2019 under the chairmanship of Shri. Santosh Gangwar, Hon’ble Union Minister of Labour and Employment has taken some landmark decisions for the overall improvement of the ESI Scheme and for the benefit of the IPs and Employer of our country.
Following are the major decisions/ announcements in the meeting:-
1. Increased the monthly income ceiling limit from Rs.5000/- to Rs.9000/-for dependent parents to avail benefits under the ESI Scheme raised.
2. Rationalized ESI Contribution Rates from 6.5% to 5%. Now, the new Employee share of contribution is 1% and Employer Share is 4% ( Total 5% of monthly Gross Wages) This shall improve the compliance and reduce the burden of ESI Contribution payment.
3. Eligibility for Super Speciality Treatment Reduction to 6 months from the current 2 years.
4. A major decision was taken for removing the ESI expense ceiling on IPs to State Government. Currently, 87.5% contribution is provided by the center and 12.5% by state running the medical Scheme. It has now been decided to reimburse the State Governments the full expenses required for running the medical Scheme, without any ceiling. This shall bring huge increase the spending on the ESI Scheme by the state government and corresponding improvement in medical facilities. If this still does not bring any improvement then running hospitals should be taken over by central ESIC board
4) Four New ESI Dispensaries has been sanctioned for Kerala Maanamthavady, Sulthanbathery, Kannan Devan Hills and Mannamkandam (Idukki)
5) Level 1 ICU shall be set up at all ESI Hospitals.
6) The decision was also taken to improve the Super Speciality Treatment and specialized medical services provided through the ESI Scheme.
The entire contents of this article are solely for information purpose and have been prepared on the basis of relevant provisions and as per the information existing at the time of the preparation by the Author. Compliance Calendar LLP and the Author of this Article do not constitute any sort of professional advice or a formal recommendation. The author has undertaken utmost care to disseminate the true and correct view and doesn’t accept liability for any errors or omissions. You are kindly requested to verify and confirm the updates from the genuine sources before acting on any of the information’s provided hereinabove. Compliance Calendar LLP shall not be responsible for any loss or damage in any circumstances whatsoever.