Small businesses often overlook aspects like corporate culture or company culture that help keep the company stable. The focus of small businesses is to escalate the success ladder faster. But for the sustainance of this corporate culture, one needs to keep in mind building a conducive corporate culture. So how can SMEs build a good corporate culture:-
1. Clearly defined ideas about your company:- You need to have clearly defined ideas about your company to arrive at the values of the company. You need to understand precisely what your company stands for, what values you want to instill in your employees, upon introspection what values do you believe in and lastly, where do you see your company a few years from now.
2. Understand the company culture that you have now:- In the initial stages, you may have a casual work environment and an open-door policy but this won’t last long. As your team grows and business grows you need to discipline the workforce. So before you put in place a corporate culture for your company understand the company culture that you have now.
3. Chalk out the core values of your company:- After thorough brainstorming, chalk out the core values of your company. These values should be strong enough to hold together the entire workforce. For instance – integrity, passion, education, attitude, etc. can be the core values of any company.
4. Hire a point of contact/ people person:- As the owner of the company, you can’t be expected to do everything on your own. So what you need is a point of contact or a people person. This will be the HR department of your company. They will ensure that the core values of your company thrive. Alongside to represent in the company to the outside world you will need a PR or a spokesperson who will ensure that the world knows and understands the kind of corporate culture your company provides.
5. Focus on talent branding:- Talent branding simply put means the reviews of your company as is given by your employees or prospective employees. Talent branding makes sure that the world outside that hears of your company culture must identify the core values of your company.
6. Hire the right candidates:- Hiring the right candidate for your business is important because as a small business you cannot afford to waste money on the wrong assets.
When hiring the candidate make sure that the candidate understands and identifies with your company’s core values. Try to get a broader perspective when interviewing the candidate because you won’t get a comprehensive understanding of the company in just a few minutes of the interview.
Make sure that the candidate has the right outlook because the right attitude of the candidate can take your company places. And lastly, make sure you bring in diversity in the company; every candidate should reflect a different personality and different opinions.
7. Reinforcing core values:- Reinforce the company’s core values from time to time by awarding the employees or through various initiatives and programs.
8. Measure the employee experience:- Regularly measure the employee experience from time to time to check if your corporate culture is on point and if it is attracting talent or no. You can measure the employee experience by employee referral rates, employee engagement surveys, employee ratings and review sites, and employee referral rates.
It is important that companies create a healthy work environment for increasing the efficiency and productivity of the employees. There ought to be enough flexibility and stress-free work culture and for that to happen, having a concrete corporate culture is a must.
The entire contents of this article are solely for information purpose and have been prepared on the basis of relevant provisions and as per the information existing at the time of the preparation by the Author. Compliance Calendar LLP and the Author of this Article do not constitute any sort of professional advice or a formal recommendation. The author has undertaken utmost care to disseminate the true and correct view and doesn’t accept liability for any errors or omissions. You are kindly requested to verify and confirm the updates from the genuine sources before acting on any of the information’s provided hereinabove. Compliance Calendar LLP shall not be responsible for any loss or damage in any circumstances whatsoever.